The Computer

Discussion in 'One Tech to Rule Them All.' started by The Reference, Aug 26, 2017.

1. The Reference

The Reference New Member

Showcasing my computer rig...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9ECweOzYzF1ajZhc1hOMVdpWW8
    It's a 42U Rack cabinet, HP brand, Storageworks. Pretty standard cabinet.

From top to bottom:

Ubiquiti Unifi 16-150W PoE switch, Gigabit switch with PoE on all ports, supporting af+at and 24V passive.
    Cisco SG300-20 switch, Gigabit L3 switch currently running in L2, no need for the L3, but it's there anyway.

1U Mini-ITX rig with a VIA Epia EK8000EG motherboard, 800MHz VIA Luke Corefusion(TM) with 512MB RAM, running pfSense firewall from a USB Memstick. Now, this rig is an oldie, it has been with me for well over 10 years, and it was the first rig I bought specifically to run a predecessor of pfSense on, m0n0wall. Later installed pfSense on it, and have been running pfSense now for around a decade.

1U Mini-ITX rig with a Jetway JNF99FL-525 motherboard, Intel Atom D525 Dual Core @ 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, running NAS4Free(TM) from a CF-card. It is currently housing 2x4TB WD RED HDDs and 2x2TB Seagate HDDs. NAS4Free is a continued project derived from FreeNAS (now destroyed by iXSystems), a free NAS platform actually based on the same user interface and underlying OS as pfSense and m0n0wall before that.

4U Workstation and streaming computer, with a Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H motherboard, i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, MSI Twin Frozr GTX770, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, AVermedia Live Gamer HD. Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB soundcard and a Intel Pro1000 CT NIC.

4U Gaming computer, with a MSI C236A motherboard, Intel Xeon E3 1245 v5, 2x8GB ECC RAM, EVGA GeForce GTX1070 SC ACX 3.0, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB soundcard and a Intel Pro1000 CT NIC.

4U Server, with a ASUS P8C WS motherboard, Intel Xeon E3 1245 v2, 4x4GB ECC RAM, Samsung 830 128GB SSD. This server is running VMWare ESXi which currently hosts my VM based router running pfSense (notice Dual LAN, 1 grey cable with a PoE injector coming from my antenna on the roof being WAN and 1 orange cable being LAN going to the Cisco switch. It also houses my in configuration NVR Server VM, which will be controlling my surveillance cameras which will be connected to the Ubiquiti switch. I still have a lot of juice left in this unit.

At the bottom, we have a real workhorse, bought back in 2008, a Eaton Powerware 9125RM On-Line UPS. 2U unit rated 3KVA and can deliver 2.1KW at 230V. Power factor is 0.7, so it does produce some surplus heat due to a slight inefficiency, but it doesn't matter since the workload is so low anyway, I'm far from close to maxing it out. I also have a EBM hooked to it, or Extended Battery Module to double the runtime. Now, the batteries haven't been changed in both these units since I bought them, so runtime is getting poor, but still around 1 hour for the workload, more than enough time to shutdown stuff properly and so on.

Hanging on the wall there is a Cisco WAP 4410N, an ok access point.

Now, as one can see... all the cabling goes through some holes in the wall to where I can escape the noise this rack cabinet is making. Will be updating with pictures and video of this... mancave... later on.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    ArucarD likes this.
  2. ArucarD

ArucarD Administrator Staff Member

Usually when someone posts something along these lines, it is either a single desktop, laptop or dual PCs. Not often does one encounter such beauty and it is epic to see that it is not just 100% new and has been put through its paces. This is epic, simply put. I am jelly on peanut butter.

3. The Reference

The Reference New Member

I just "regularly" swap out my hardware, and usually depending on what's getting swapped out, another computer inherits components. The one rig I did buy brand new for specific purpose (except the NAS4Free and pfSense) is the ESXi ... and the transition to rack units basically came from me being fed up with the quality of towers and what a hassle it was to have computers on the floor, with all the cables ... and hard to get at because they were standing next to eachother or on top, so it was a bitch to fix stuff, maintain and so on.

Also, I quite enjoy the enterprise feeling of rack units :p