AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X. Excited?

Discussion in 'One Tech to Rule Them All.' started by ArucarD, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ArucarD

ArucarD Administrator Staff Member

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...per_1950X_34_GHz_16_Core_TR4_Boxed_Processor#

My brother held this baby in this hand at a Microcenter near to where he was. Not only was he excited, stated he would finally be jumping on it as soon as he could, which is about end of year or so. On the other hand, I have a 6800K, which was purchased a month or two prior to Ryzen launching in general. If Ryzen would have released within that time frame, I would have returned my CPU / MB / RAM and just went with what I was anticipating. Do not get me wrong, my 6800K works well, but for the price at MSRP compared to Ryzen, no way.

At 999$ the 1950X Threadripper does exactly as its name implies. It tears through threads and extra processes like a chain saw through a mozzarella cheese stick. Do you absolutely need this for gaming? Absolutely the fuck not. But if you are gaming with the system, running beyond multiple items at the same time, tabs, windows, compression in the background, streaming at the same time, rendering, professional use, etc. This is more geared towards a beyond heavier than usual workload. There are more than enough videos showcasing the 1950X vs the i9-7900X to showcase the benchmarks between them. I am linking Paul's Hardware showdown between them and you can summarize it as you see fit.

All I know is that if and when I have the opportunity to do so, I am going back to AMD for the Threadripper platform.

2. The Reference

The Reference New Member

Both good CPU's, but for the price, Threadripper mops the floor with that overpriced Intel "junk" ;-P

If I'm upgrading my workstation and streaming rig, it'll rip!

Also, I'm so happy to see AMD back in the performance tier again.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  3. ArucarD

Agreed entirely. Now to keep looking into real world application and see what the true differences are even though my mind is already set on the 1950X. In gaming these chips are pretty much non issue, they are incredible but not built for that in specific. But to game, stream, play music, browse, run laps, run marathons, write a book, watch a movie, watch an anime with a pron in the background and still not have it be an issue? Priceless.

4. The Reference

The Reference New Member

I'm thinking slowest CPU preset in OBS @ 1080p 60fps...

5. ArucarD

I am thinking that very well may be a possibility. If I can do Fast on my 6800K as I game @ 720 60 [sometimes it does say encoding overloaded then fixes itself immediately], why not. I do not do 1080 due to people not being able to see it on older mobile devices and or older rigs that will stutter.